Saturday, June 16, 2007

Pride


Do you know the Pedigree Chum adverts that say "We're for dogs"? Well, I have a friend who says that she's "for humans," and I am too.

Given all the doom and gloom going around, I particularly like it when we humans take the time to simply celebrate ourselves, our differences and our unitedness. After all, if we don't feel good about ourselves, we're not going to do much to help our world. So I was overjoyed by the huge Gay Pride festival yesterday. Plenty of environmental and political rallies come and go in Brisbane, but never have I seen a group make their point with such enthusiam, humour and peacefulness, and in such force!

Regardless of sexuality, it made me feel proud to be human.

2 comments:

graywave said...

I know you probably just grabbed the photo from a newspaper, so it's not your fault, but have you noticed that they never show pictures of just GAYS in these articles. It has to be drag queens! Doesn't this just feed popular straight stereotypes of what it is to be gay? I know that drag queens are more colourful than ordinary gays but by focusing on them the media is missing the point of the march. It doesn't do a lot for the image of ordinary transvestites and transsexuals either!

Unknown said...

The people in the photo may have just been in fancy dress and having fun ;)